It is the down of a new phase: NYSC is over, what is the next level. How it is like in the real job market, the labour market awaits, among millions graduated, who will be fetched, whom will it favour? Who will lead us face to face to the advanced world beckoning on us? Yes, many people gets scared as their passing out time approaches. Hearts begins to fly, restlessness comes, disturbing questions like will I be retained? where can I continue from here? Do I have anything I have learnt to update my CV? Will I deliver if I found another job? Yes, many corps members are in the same shoes.
We have outlined a number of things ex-corps members can wince on and move on with it. However, the truth is that if one plans his ways on time, one stands a good chance of scaling without stress in the job market. You have to start things earlier and do it better; because if you start earlier, you will have enough time to finish up. Below are what one can get involved in:
- Acquire a skill: I usually advice that people should start acquiring skills during NYSC. For those who are tech inclined, you have to start learning a particular skill in the tech field. Information technology(IT) takes the lead in the advent of the fourth industrial revolution, which our contemporary society is into presently. The areas of software development, Computer networking, Cyber security, Artificial intelligence, data analysis and so many more. There is hardly people with this skill in need of a job especially in Nigeria. For software development, one can pick up any programming language: Java, python, C# and many others and get use to them. It will go a long way to better your life. One good thing in IT is that, one’s background does not matter, just start and I assure you in three months, you will not believe the level you are. I must warn you, it might be tough in-between but if you are consistent, you will laugh last. There are also a number of things to learn outside IT filed. The Fashion industry is also another big area. You can pick up a niche in the fashion including makeup, tailoring, beads and crafts and so much more. Pick up a course online and better yourself; many are free, it will pay in due time.
- Get a job: Actually, you were working during service. Some corpers are retained after service while others are not. In some cases, it is the corps members that refuses to be retained may be because of the nature of the job or they have better option. It is noteworthy that you are now responsible. People will now depend on you rather than you depending on others. You need a job to carry yourself and cater for loved ones because as far as they are concerned you should take charge.
- Go for further studies: One needs to advance one’s education especially those who are academic inclined. If you want to be in the academic line, it is necessary to further your education now you still have the vibrancy to do so. There are many postgraduate scholarships available to study in Nigeria or oversea. Some of them include PTDF, Federal Government, NLNG, many petroleum companies, private scholarships, International organizations scholarship and many more at your disposal. You have to be meticulous about it. Keep eyes down and source information, apply to as many as you can, you might be lucky. Immediately after NYSC is the best time to go for higher degree certification.
- Start a business: Many people will quickly tell you there is no money. We place precedence on money and miss the major concern. You have a plan first. The truth is that when you do not have a plan ready for execution, if the money eventually comes, you will incur a lot of confusion; good chunk of the money will be wasted trying to understand how to start. Improper plan make many startups in Nigeria never live more than five years. It is good you develop a plan in a niche you love or in a niche you foresee advances. Out of the numerous problems in Nigeria lies many business opportunities, one will be good for you.
- Network: It is sometimes not, what you know but who you know. This does not just apply in Nigeria but also across the world. If you are skilled in a particular thing and no one recommends you, it is frustrating, especially now you are just starting, you need to network, attend programs and get to know people.
- Get Married: Yes, it may be funny but it is true. It is good to get married especially for the female folks. Starting a family on time saves one a lot of time and hustle. Get fixed in a family is good for most folks to avoid running in the wild.
- Learn a trade: If you are the type that like business, it is time to venture into it fully and make a space for yourself. It is good you learn a trade and start from there. You have certificate, yes but if business is what you like, learn a trade. But, do not just go into it, you must have a defined path, plan it and have a clear concept of what you are doing.
- Create a professional profile: You need to let people know you, in fact you have to announce what you can do and what you have done. This will go a long way to get you to where you want.
- Be computer literate: This is a rapid advancing world. In any discipline you are, it is of utmost important that you be computer literate. Get yourself acquainted with the laptop and know at least basic Microsoft packages.
- Live healthy: Do not be frustrated, do not allow yourself to be psychologically. After NYSC is really a trying time, but you must hold on. Be fit and eat healthy, live just started. ©kazanuba.com