There are quite a number of National Basketball Association (NBA) players with African origin. According to racial equality activist Richard Lapchick, the NBA in 2015 was composed of 74.4 percent black players, 23.3 percent white players, 1.8 percent Latino players of any race, and 0.2 percent Asian players. A lot are making waves in NBA with outstanding salaries. Below are some highest paid NBA players with African origin:
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, PF: Popularly known as the ‘Greek Freak’ is a professional basketball player for the Milwaukee Bucks of the National Basketball Association. His outstanding performance made him the primary playmaker for his team. He was the first player in the history of the NBA to finish a regular season in the top 20 in total points, assists, rebounds, steals and block. He was drafted to the NBA in 2013 and plays the power forward position. Giannis’ Nigerian parents migrated to Greece in 199, he was born on December 6th 1994.
- Serge Ibaka, C: This is a Congolese-Spanish professional basketball player for the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association. Ibaka plays for Spanish national team in international competitions even though he was born in Congo. He was drafted into the NBA in 2008 with 24th overall pick. He won NBA All-defensive Team award for three times in 2012, 2013 and 2014. He is also known by various nicknames “I-block a”, “Serge Protector”, “Air Congo”
- Victor Oladipo, SG: Victor plays shooting guard position for Indiana Hoosiers of National Basketball association. He is an American professional basketball player. Victor won the NBA Most Improved Player Award in his first season with Indiana. He was drafted into the NBA in 2013 and currently in his 5th season experience. Victor’s Father is Sierra Leonean while his mother is Nigerian. He is also known as Mr. Feathery
- Andre Iguodala, SF: He is an American professional basketball player who plays for the Golden State Warriors of the NBA. He was also a member of the United States national team at the 2010 FIBA World Championship and 2012 Summer Olympics, he won gold medal in the occasions. He was drafted into National Basketball Association in 2004 and currently in 14th season experience. Iggy is his nickname and his father is Nigerian
- Al-Farouq Aminu, PF: This Nigerian-American professional basketball player plays the power forward position for the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA. He plays for Nigerian National team in international competitions. He was born in 1990 and drafted into NBA in 2010 while currently in 8th season experience. Aminu was chosen as the recipient of Maurice Lucas Award the 2016-17. You can call him Chief all year round except in March when he’s known as El Jefe
- Joel Hans Embid, C: Known as the ‘The Process’ plays professional basketball for the Philadelphia 76ers. Joel was drafted third overall in the 2014 NBA Draft. He was discovered by fellow NBA player Luc Mbah a Moute at the age of 15. Though plagued with injury in the early part of his career he has grown to lead his team. Joel was born in Cameroun
- Thabo Sefolosha, SF: Thabo plays for Utah Jazz team of the National Basketball Association. He is a Swiss professional basketball player of South African parents. He was born in 1984 and currently in 12th season experience. He was drafted into NBA in 2006. Thabo doesn’t seem to have acquired a nickname(yet).
- Mo Bamba, C: This young fellow is a force to recon with in basketball court. He is an American professional basketball player for the Orlando Magic of the NBA. He weighs 221lbs and 7ft 10 inches in height. Bambo was drafted into National Basketball Association in 2018 and currently not very much experienced. Mo’s parents emigrated from Ivory Coast
- Luc Mbah a Moute, PF: Mbah is a Cameroonian professional basketball player plays for Cameroon national team in international competition. He is 6 ft. 8 inches in height. He was born in 1986 and drafted into NBA in 2008. He plays the power forward for La Clippers of National Basketball Association. Also known as the Fresh Prince because he is actually a Prince in Cameroun.
- Ekpe Udoh, C: This is an American professional basketball player for the Utah Jazz of NBA. Jazz made it to the NBA in 2010 and currently in 6th season experience. He weighs 245 lbs. and 6 ft. 10 inches in height.
- Bam Adebayo, C: Adebayo plays for Miami Heat of the National Basketball Association. In college, he played basketball for the Kentucky Wildcats for one season before the Miami Heat took him 14th overall in the 2017 NBA draft. He is currently in his first season experience. Bam Bam’s dad is Nigerian
- Thon Maker, PF: This is a South Sudanese Australian professional basketball player for the Detroit Pistons of the National Basketball Association. Born in 1997, he was drafted into the NBA in 2016 and in 2nd season experience. Thon doesn’t have a nickname
- Emeka Okafor, C: Emeka plays for Philadelphia 76ers of the National Basketball Association. He is an American professional basketball player. He won 2004 national championship in the university Connecticut where he schooled. In same year, he was drafted into the National Basketball Association. Big Mek’s parents are from Nigeria
- OG Anunoby, SF: Anunoby plays for Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association. He is a British professional basketball player. He was drafted into NBA in 2017 and currently in 1st season experience. OG’s parents emigrated from Nigeria
- Jahlil Okafor, C: Okafor is an American professional basketball player for the New Orleans Pelicans of the National Basketball Association. He was selected in the 2015 NBA draft with the third overall pick by the Philadelphia 76ers. He is in 3rd season experience. Jahlil’s Paternal grandfather emigrate from Nigeria
- Paskal Siakam, PF: Pascal Siakam “Spicy P” is a Cameroonian professional basketball player for the Toronto Raptors of the NBA. He played college basketball for the New Mexico State Aggies and was named the conference player of the year in the Western Athletic Conference in 2016. He was born in 1994 and was drafted into NBA in 2016. He earned the D-League Finals Most Valuable Player honors in 2017.
Professional basketball players of African origin are really making headway in NBA. A lot of them are outstanding and receive huge returns. Many ranked among the highest paid NBA players currently.